Sunday, September 12, 2010

Roasted Squash

I frequently roast winter squash. Here's how to do it: 

For a whole squash:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Scrub squash & pierce in several places
3. Place in a baking dish or rimmed baking sheet (it may ooze sugary juice). I find it helpful to line my baking dish with foil, to help with clean up.
4. Bake until the flesh is tender when pierced. A small squash may take 45 minutes, a large butternut up to 1.5 hours.

For pieces:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Scrub squash and cut in half.
3. Remove seeds and strings.
4. Place cut side down in a baking dish.
5. Add 1/4" water and cover with foil.
6. Bake until flesh is tender. 30-45 minutes for small pieces.

When baking pieces you have the option of flipping them over halfway and adding butter or oil, spices, and toppings. I love butternut squash with butter and cinnamon; or spaghetti squash with olive oil and parmesan. I would love to hear what you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment